Jump to navigation Jump to search
objurgation (plural objurgations)
- (rare) A strong rebuke; a strong scolding.
- 1921, The Latter-Day Saints' Millennial Star, volume 83, page 660:
- Wild man Murphy, said, "that the people of the 'Mormon' Church did not regard the objurgation of 'damn' as swearing, but only as common-place slang."
- 1957, Lawrence Durrell, Justine:
- Unknown fronds of trees arched over him, brushing his face, while cobbles punctuated the rubber wheels of some dark ambulance full of metal and other dark bodies, whose talk was of limbo — a repulsive yelping streaked with Arabic objurgations.
strong rebuke, scolding