Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (abbreviation, grammar): opt.
optative (not comparable)
- Expressing a wish or a choice.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Fuller to this entry?)
- (grammar) Related or pertaining to the optative mood.
optative (plural optatives)
- (grammar) A mood of verbs found in some languages (e.g. Sanskrit, Old Prussian, Ancient Greek), used to express a wish. English has no inflexional optative mood, but it has modal verbs like "will", "might", and "may" that express possibility.
- (grammar) A verb or expression in the optative mood.