Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (abbreviation, grammar): opt.
optative (not comparable)
- Expressing a wish or a choice.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Fuller to this entry?)
- 1996, David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest, Back Bay, 2006. page 64.
- ... then, in the optative retirement from hard science that building and opening a U.S.T.A-accredited and pedagogically experimental tennis academy apparently represented for him ...
- (grammar) Related or pertaining to the optative mood.
expressing a wish
optative (plural optatives)
- (grammar) A mood of verbs found in some languages (e.g. Sanskrit, Old Prussian, Ancient Greek), used to express a wish. English does not have inflectional optative forms.
- (grammar) A verb or expression in the optative mood.