Jump to navigation Jump to search
- In a painful manner; as if in pain.
- I limped painfully down the stairs.
- 1906 January–October, Joseph Conrad, chapter IX, in The Secret Agent: A Simple Tale, London: Methuen & Co., […], published 1907, OCLC 270548466; The Secret Agent: A Simple Tale (Collection of British Authors; 3995), copyright edition, Leipzig: Bernhard Tauchnitz, 1907, OCLC 1107573959, page 193:
- The unsufficiency and uncandidness of his answer became painfully apparent in the dead silence of the room.
- (informal) Badly; poorly.
- That was the most painfully sung rendition of “Fly Me to the Moon” that I’ve ever heard.
in a painful manner