Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Having the taste of pepper.
- Having a fiery temperament.
- a peppery old Army major
- 1868, Anthony Trollope, He Knew He Was Right XIV
- At the Stag and Antlers old Mrs Crocket, than whom no old woman in the public line was ever more generous, more peppery, or more kind, kept two clean bed-rooms, and could cook a leg of Dartmoor mutton and make an apple pie against any woman in Devonshire.
- 1884, Princess Ida, by Gilbert & Sullivan
- For I'm a peppery potentate, / Who's little inclined his claim to bate, / To fit the wit of a bit of a chit, / And that's the long and short of it!