Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The metal mercury.
- (colloquial) An amalgam of mercury and tin applied to the backs of mirrors, quicksilvering.
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:quicksilver.
terms derived from quicksilver
amalgam used on mirrors
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
quicksilver (not comparable)
- Unpredictable, erratic or fickle; mercurial.
2012 April 29, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Treehouse of Horror III” (season 4, episode 5; originally aired 10/29/1992)”, in (Please provide the title of the work):
- The idea of a merchant selling both totems of pure evil and frozen yogurt (he calls it frogurt!) is amusing in itself, as is the idea that frogurt could be cursed, but it’s really the Shopkeeper’s quicksilver shift from ominous doomsaying to chipper salesmanship that sells the sequence.
- quicksilver Barthelmy, David (accessed 29 August 2016) Webmineral Mineralogy Database
- quicksilver mindat.org, Hudson Institute of Mineralogy, accessed 29 August 2016
- quicksilver in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1914