Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) to regurgitate, to spit up
- (intransitive, takes essere as the auxiliary) to gush, to spurt out
- (intransitive, takes avere as the auxiliary) to be overflowing
- Synonym: straboccare
- 1959, Indro Montanelli, “Capitolo diciannovesimo: Pericle”, in Storia dei Greci [History of the Greeks], 39th edition, Milan, published 1973, page 173:
- La sua maggiore arma politica furono i lavori pubblici. Poteva intraprenderne quanti voleva perché, coi mari liberi e con una flotta come quella ateniese, i commerci andavano a gonfie vele e il Tesoro rigurgitava di quattrini.
- Public works were his greatest political weapon. He [Pericles] could've embarked on as many as he wanted, because, with the seas freed, and with a fleet like the Athenian one, trade was on a roll, and the treasury was overflowing with money.
Conjugation of rigurgitare
- rigurgitare in Treccani.it – Vocabolario Treccani on line, Istituto dell'Enciclopedia Italiana