Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To delete or erase or remove (something) by rubbing.
- The teacher wanted to rub out the chalk marks on the blackboard.
- (obsolete) To get by; to live.
- (transitive, criminal slang) To kill, especially to murder.
- We had to rub out that witness.
- See also Wikisaurus:kill
- In both senses the object may appear before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must be before the particle.
delete or erase by rubbing
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.