Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Delete
From Latin deletus, past participle of delere (“destroy, blot out, efface”), from delevi, originally perf. tense of delinere (“to daub, erase by smudging”), from de- (“from, away”) + linere (“to smear, wipe”).
- Alternative letter-case form of
- I lost the file when I accidentally hit delete.
- A remainder of a music or video release.
- To remove, get rid of or erase, especially written or printed material, or data on a computer.
- (computing) To hide, conceal
- (to get rid of): erase, strike, terminate, cease existence, remove, rub out, strike out, obliterate, cancel, cross out, score, scrub, scrap, scratch, expunge, eliminate, blue-pencil, exclude, squelch