- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌdɛlɪˈtɪəɹi.əs/, /ˌdɪlɪˈtɪəɹi.əs/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌdɛləˈtɪɹi.əs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪəriəs
- Harmful often in a subtle or unexpected way.
- Synonyms: destructive, harmful, hurtful, injurious, noxious, pernicious
deleterious to someone's health
2017 September, Jean M. Twenge, “Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?”, in The Atlantic:
- The advent of the smartphone and its cousin the tablet was followed quickly by hand-wringing about the deleterious effects of “screen time.” But the impact of these devices has not been fully appreciated, and goes far beyond the usual concerns about curtailed attention spans.
- “deleterious” at OneLook Dictionary Search