Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pəˈnɪʃəs/
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɚˈnɪʃəs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪʃəs
- Causing much harm in a subtle way.
- Synonym: deleterious
- 2017 March 22, Jacob Kastrenakes, “Medium launches memberships for $5 per month”, in The Verge:
- In January, the company laid off a third of its staff and renounced ads as a pernicious influence on the world, without mentioning that Google and Facebook are so good at ads there’s hardly room for anyone else to compete.
- 2019 July 9, Toni Bentley, “What Do the Sex Lives of ‘Three Women’ Tell Us About Female Desire?”, in New York Times:
- A man has always been a woman’s best excuse to avoid her destiny; that a man is her destiny is one of patriarchy’s most pernicious tenets. What a scam.
- Causing death or injury; deadly.
- Synonym: attery
causing much harm
causing death or injury