Jump to navigation Jump to search
- remainer (obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɹɪˈmeɪndə/, /ɹəˈmeɪndə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɹəˈmeɪndɚ/
audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪndə(ɹ)
remainder (plural remainders)
- A part or parts remaining after some has/have been removed.
- My son ate part of his cake and I ate the remainder.
- You can have the remainder of my clothes.
- (mathematics) The amount left over after subtracting the divisor as many times as possible from the dividend without producing a negative result. If n (dividend) and d (divisor) are integers, then n can always be expressed in the form n = dq + r, where q (quotient) and r (remainder) are also integers and 0 ≤ r < d.
- 17 leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3.
- 11 divided by 2 is 5 remainder 1.
- (mathematics) The number left over after a simple subtraction
- 10 minus 4 leaves a remainder of 6
- (commerce) Excess stock items left unsold and subject to reduction in price.
- I got a really good price on this shirt because it was a remainder.
- (law) An estate in expectancy which only comes in its heir's possession after an estate created by the same instrument has been determined
Other terms used in arithmetic operations:
- addition, summation:
- multiplication, factorization:
- root extraction:
what remains after some has been removed
mathematics: amount left over after repeatedly subtracting the divisor
mathematics: number left over after a simple subtraction
items left unsold and subject to reduction in price
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
remainder (not comparable)
- (transitive, commerce) To mark or declare items left unsold as subject to reduction in price.
- The bookstore remaindered the unsold copies of that book at the end of summer.
remainder m (invariable)
- a remainder, (book) sold at reduced price