Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- R (mathematics)
remainder (plural remainders)
- A part or parts remaining after some has/have been removed.
- My son ate part of his cake and I ate the remainder.
- You can have the remainder of my clothes.
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page viii
- Thirdly, I continue to attempt to interdigitate the taxa in our flora with taxa of the remainder of the world.
- (mathematics) The amount left over after subtracting the divisor as many times as possible from the dividend without producing a negative result. If n (dividend) and d (divisor) are integers, then n can always be expressed in the form n = dq + r, where q (quotient) and r (remainder) are also integers and 0 ≤ r < d.
- 17 leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3.
- 11 divided by 2 is 5 remainder 1.
- (mathematics) The number left over after a simple subtraction
- 10 minus 4 leaves a remainder of 6
- (commerce) Excess stock items left unsold and subject to reduction in price.
- I got a really good price on this shirt because it was a remainder.
- (law) An estate in expectancy which only comes in its heir's possession after an estate created by the same instrument has been determined
- addition, summation: (augend) + (addend) = (summand) × (summand) = (sum, total)
- subtraction: (minuend) − (subtrahend) = (difference)
- multiplication: (multiplier) × (multiplicand) = (factor) × (factor) = (product)
- division: (dividend) ÷ (divisor) = (quotient), remainder left over if divisor does not divide dividend
what remains after some has been removed
mathematics: amount left over after repeatedly subtracting the divisor
mathematics: number left over after a simple subtraction
items left unsold and subject to reduction in price
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
remainder (not comparable)
- (commerce) To mark or declare items left unsold as subject to reduction in price.
- The bookstore remaindered the unsold copies of that book at the end of summer at a reduced price.
remainder m (invariable)
- A remainder, (book) sold at reduced price