See also: Addition
- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 French
- 4 Swedish
- IPA(key): /əˈdɪʃən/, /æˈdɪʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪʃən
- Homophone: edition (weak vowel merger)
- (uncountable) The act of adding anything.
- The addition of five more items to the agenda will make the meeting unbearably long.
- Anything that is added.
- (uncountable) The arithmetic operation of adding.
- (music) A dot at the right side of a note as an indication that its sound is to be lengthened one half.
- (law) A title annexed to a person's name to identify him or her more precisely, as in "John Doe, Esq.", "Robert Dale, Mason", "Thomas Way, of New York".
- (heraldry) Something added to a coat of arms, as a mark of honour; opposed to abatement.
act of adding
arithmetic: process of adding
- plus sign (+)
- addition, summation: (augend) + (addend strict sense) = (addend broad sense) + (addend broad sense) = (summand) + (summand) = (sum, total)
- subtraction: (minuend) − (subtrahend) = (difference, remainder)
- multiplication: (multiplier, multiplicator) × (multiplicand) = (factor) × (factor) = (product)
- division: (dividend) ÷ (divisor) = (quotient), remainder left over if divisor does not divide dividend
- “addition” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2018.
Declension of addition
addition f (plural additions)
- “addition” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
|Declension of addition|