Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 French
- 4 Middle English
- 5 Swedish
- (uncountable) The act or process of dividing anything.
- Each of the separate parts of something resulting from division.
- (arithmetic, uncountable) The process of dividing a number by another.
- (arithmetic) A calculation that involves this process.
- I've got ten divisions to do for my homework.
- (military) A formation, usually made up of two or three brigades.
- A section of a large company.
- (taxonomy) A rank below kingdom and above class, particularly used of plants or fungi, also (particularly of animals) called a phylum; a taxon at that rank.
- Magnolias belong to the division Magnoliophyta.
- A disagreement; a difference of viewpoint between two sides of an argument.
- (government) A method by which a legislature is separated into groups in order to take a better estimate of vote than a voice vote.
- The House of Commons has voted to approve the third reading of the bill without a division. The bill will now progress to the House of Lords.
- (music) A florid instrumental variation of a melody in the 17th and 18th centuries, originally conceived as the dividing of each of a succession of long notes into several short ones.
- (music) A set of pipes in a pipe organ which are independently controlled and supplied.
- (law) A concept whereby a common group of debtors are only responsible for their proportionate sum of the total debt.
- (computing) Any of the four major parts of a COBOL program source code
- (Britain, Eton College) A lesson; a class.
- (making of one thing into two or more things): combination, fusion, merger, unification
- (arithmetic: calculation of the quotient): multiplication
(COBOL) Hyponyms of division
act or process of dividing anything
each of the parts resulting from division
arithmetic: process of dividing a number by another
arithmetic: calculation involving this process
large military unit
section of a large company
biology: taxonomic classification of plants
disagreement; a difference of viewpoint
law: concept of separate responsibility
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- addition, summation: (augend) + (addend) = (summand) × (summand) = (sum, total)
- subtraction: (minuend) − (subtrahend) = (difference)
- multiplication: (multiplier) × (multiplicand) = (factor) × (factor) = (product)
- division: (dividend) ÷ (divisor) = (quotient), remainder left over if divisor does not divide dividend
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text
Declension of division
division f (plural divisions)
- division (act or process of dividing)
- (arithmetic) division
- (military) division
- division (subsection)
- “division” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- Alternative form of
- division; act of dividing (e.g. numbers); large military unit; section of a company
- (sports) division, league; a organization of sports teams that habitually play against each other for a championship; the level on which a certain team plays, as compared to others
|Declension of division|