Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Something possessing structure or form.
- The act of assembling a group or structure.
- (geology) A rock or face of a mountain.
- (military) A grouping of military units or smaller formations under a command, such as a brigade, division, wing, etc.
- (military) An arrangement of moving troops, ships, or aircraft, such as a wedge, line abreast, or echelon. Often "in formation".
- (sports) An arrangement of players designed to facilitate certain plays.
- 2017 May 13, Barney Ronay, “Antonio Conte’s brilliance has turned Chelsea’s pop-up team into champions”, in the Guardian:
- N’Golo Kanté embodies both sides of this, a player whose early scratchiness was soothed with glorious results in the new 3-4-3 formation, allowed simply to be his best, most wonderfully mobile, diligent, destructive self.
- The process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation.
- The process during which something comes into being and gains its characteristics.
- (category theory) A structure made of two categories, two functors from the first to the second category, and a transformation from one of the functors to the other.
something possessing structure or form
act of assembling a group or structure
geology: rock or face of a mountain
military: grouping of units under a command
military: arrangement of moving troops, ships, or aircraft
process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- formation in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- formation in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
formation f (plural formations)
- formation, forming, development
- education; training
- Je suis gynécologue de formation. ― I'm a trainee gynecologist.
- (military) formation