Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
formation (plural formations)
- Something possessing structure or form.
- The act of assembling a group or structure.
- (geology) A rock or face of a mountain.
- (military) A grouping of military units or smaller formations under a command, such as a brigade, division, wing, etc.
- (military) An arrangement of moving troops, ships, or aircraft, such as a wedge, line abreast, or echelon. Often "in formation".
- The process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation.
- The process during which something comes into being and gains its characteristics.
- (military grouping of units): battle group, brigade group, task force, combat team
- (military arrangement of forces): tactical formation, battle formation
something possessing structure or form
act of assembling a group or structure
geology: rock or face of a mountain
military: grouping of units under a command
military: arrangement of moving troops, ships, or aircraft
process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- formation in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- “formation”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911
formation f (plural formations)
- formation, forming, development
- education; training
- Je suis gynécologue de formation. I'm a trainee gynecologist.
- (military) formation