Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Transformation
Audio (US) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌtɹæns.fɔɹˈmeɪ.ʃən/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌtɹæns.fə(ɹ)ˈmeɪ.ʃən/
- Hyphenation: trans‧for‧ma‧tion
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The act of transforming or the state of being transformed.
- A marked change in appearance or character, especially one for the better.
- (mathematics) The replacement of the variables in an algebraic expression by their values in terms of another set of variables; a mapping of one space onto another or onto itself; a function that changes the position or direction of the axes of a coordinate system.
- (linguistics) A rule that systematically converts one syntactic form into another; a sentence derived by such a rule.
- (genetics) The alteration of a bacterial cell caused by the transfer of DNA from another, especially if pathogenic.
- (politics, South Africa) Ideologically driven government policy - becoming more conformant with socialist and African nationalist groupthink.
act of transforming
state of being transformed
marked change in appearance or character
linguistics: rule that systematically converts one syntactic form into another
genetics: alteration of a bacterial cell caused by the transfer of DNA
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
transformation f (plural transformations)
- conversion of a try in rugby
- transformer (verb)
- “transformation” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).