Jump to navigation Jump to search
constituency (plural constituencies)
- (politics) A district represented by one or more elected officials.
- Synonyms: (Australia) division, electoral district, (New Zealand) electorate, precinct, (Canada) riding
- John was elected to parliament from the Bedford constituency.
- 2011 December 14, Angelique Chrisafis, “Rachida Dati accuses French PM of sexism and elitism”, in Guardian:
- The row started over who will run for parliament in a wealthy rightwing constituency on the left bank in Paris, a safe seat for Sarkozy's ruling UMP. Dati is already a local mayor in the neighbourhood, a job felt to have been handed to her on a plate when she was a Sarkozy favourite. She has since fallen from grace, and when she left government she took a European parliament seat, considered a consolation prize.
- 2023 May 31, “Network News: Micro-management prompted Gibb to quit ScotRail”, in RAIL, number 984, page 25:
- This follows the confirmation that Gilruth personally ordered the cancellation of engineering works in Fife last year, which is thought to have been the final straw for Gibb […] . Because her Fife constituency was materially affected by the cancellation, Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross, who raised Gibb's departure at First Minister's Questions on May 18, described the incident as a "clear-cut sackable offence".
- (collective) The voters within such a district.
- Synonym: electorate
- (collective) The residents of such a district.
- (collective) The voters of a candidate.
- An interest group or fan base.
district represented by one or more elected officials
voters within such a district — see electorate