Jump to navigation Jump to search
electorate (plural electorates)
- (historical) The dominion of an Elector in the Holy Roman Empire.
- 2016, Peter H. Wilson, The Holy Roman Empire, Penguin 2017, page 187:
- Brandenburg, emerging around what would become Berlin, acquired distinct status as an electorate in the mid-fourteenth century.
- The collective people of a country, state, or electoral district who are entitled to vote.
- The votes have been counted and the electorate has spoken.
- The geographic area encompassing an electoral district.
- The electorate of Finchley borders on the electorate of Much-Binding-in-the-Marsh, splitting the new housing estate of Royal Cupolas.
- (collective people): constituency
- (geographic area): riding (Canada), constituency (United Kingdom), seat (Australia), division (Australia), ward, district, electoral district
those entitled to vote collectively
geographic area encompassing electoral district — see electoral district