Jump to navigation Jump to search
quotient (plural quotients)
- (arithmetic) The number resulting from the division of one number by another.
- The quotient of 12 divided by 4 is 3.
- (arithmetic) The integer part of the result of such division.
- The quotient of 13 divided by 4 is 3, and the remainder is 1.
- (mathematics) By analogy, the result of any process that is the inverse of multiplication as defined for any mathematical entities other than numbers.
- (obsolete, rare) A quotum or quota.
number resulting from division
result of inverse of multiplication defined for non-numerical mathematical entities
quotum or quota
Other terms used in elementary arithmetic:
quotient m (plural quotients)
- Quotient (result of a division).