Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (arithmetic) (uncountable) The process of subtracting a number from another.
- (arithmetic) (countable) A calculation involving subtracting.
- The teacher has set us ten subtractions to do by tomorrow.
- The removal of something.
- The subtraction of the wealth from the economy will result in recession.
- addition, summation: (augend) + (addend) = (summand) + (summand) = (sum, total)
- subtraction: (minuend) − (subtrahend) = (difference)
- multiplication: (multiplier) × (multiplicand) = (factor) × (factor) = (product)
- division: (dividend) ÷ (divisor) = (quotient), remainder left over if divisor does not divide dividend
- minus sign