Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɝˌplʌs/, /ˈsɝpləs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɜːpləs/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Hyphenation: sur‧plus
- That which remains when use or need is satisfied, or when a limit is reached; excess; overplus.
- Specifically, an amount in the public treasury at any time greater than is required for the ordinary purposes of the government.
- (law) The remainder of a fund appropriated for a particular purpose.
- (law) assets left after liabilities and debts, including capital stock have been deducted.
funds in public treasury greater than ordinary needs
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
surplus (not comparable)
- Being or constituting a surplus; more than sufficient.
- surplus population
- surplus words
- The latest shipment of goods is surplus to our needs.
- 1953, Samuel Beckett, Watt, Olympia Press:
- But to return to where we left her, I see her still, propped up in a kind of stupor against one of the walls in which this wretched edifice abounds, her long grey greasy hair framing in its cowl of scrofulous mats a face where pallor, languor, hunger, acne, recent dirt, immemorial chagrin and surplus hair seemed to dispute the mastery.
being a surplus
- (transitive) To treat as surplus to requirements; to sell off or dismiss from employment, etc.
- 1952, United States. Congress. House. Committee on Appropriations, Moroccan air base construction. 2 v, page 618:
- This employee was engaged to direct asphalt plants and inasmuch as the work for which he had been employed was completed, he was surplused and his return travel was approved […]
- A surplus value, notably of money.
- A remaining quantity, notably stock excess.
surplus m (plural surplus)
- a surplus
- → Italian: surplus
- “surplus”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
surplus m (invariable)
- a surplus (all senses)
- Alternative form of
surplus n (plural surplusuri)
Declension of surplus