Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
signified (plural signifieds)
- (linguistics, philosophy) The concept, object or person that is referred to by a sign or signifier.
- 2001, Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections:
- Here things are getting better and better for women and people of color, and gay men and lesbians, more and more integrated and open, and all you can think about is some stupid, lame problem with signifiers and signifieds.
- 2012, Esti Sheinberg, Music Semiotics, page 9:
- In Peircean terms, topics are interpretants: signifieds that become new signifiers in the endless semiotic chain of interpretations.
concept evoked by a sign