Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Skookum
- (chiefly British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest US) Excellent, impressive.
- (chiefly British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest US) Big, strong, durable, reliable, trustworthy, doughty.
- 1991 October 16, Robert Smits, “Folk Wisdom”, in rec.motorcycles, Usenet, message-ID <RwDX01w164w@smits.oneb.wimsey.bc.ca>:
- The electrics were fine (amazing considering Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness made 'em), although they were positive ground - admittedly not a serious problem unless you wanted to add electrical accessories - and mostly we didn't in those days unless you had a Hardly Dangerous "garbage wagon". (This was probably cuz the Harley was the only bike with a skookum enough electrical system for the load.)
- 1999 November 30, Skeptic, “PROVE GOD EXISTS”, in alt.atheism, Usenet, message-ID <5pW04.12151$Memail@example.com>:
- There was a young, bold freight trainman here who tried using one of his steel-toed boots as a wheel chock. Not quite skookum enough, though. He lost a big part of his foot.
skookum (plural skookums)
- (chiefly among Northwest Coast Aboriginal people) An evil spirit or woodland monster or giant.
- A type of doll based on the mythical woodland monster.