Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (South Africa) plural of
- plural of
- (nautical, dated) Clothing and bedding issued to sailors.
- (nautical, historical) Sailors’ breeches ending just below the knees or above the ankles, worn mainly in XVIII century.
- Synonym: open-kneed breeches
- 2012, Nelson's navy, by Philip Haythornthwaite, page 26:
- The original "slops" were voluminous breeches of about knee length, reminiscent of 17th century "petticoat breeches", worn with stockings; these continue to be depicted as late as 1790s, but trousers, first introduced as slop-clothing in 1720s, were more functional and more popular.
- (dated) The dirty wastewater of a house.