Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: soap-opera
From the soap and detergent commercials originally broadcast during the shows, which were aimed at women who were cleaning their house at the time of viewing; opera from the melodramatic character of the shows.
- A radio or television serial, typically broadcast in the afternoon or evening, about the lives of melodramatic characters, which are often filled with strong emotions, highly dramatic situations and suspense.
- Synonyms: (colloquial) soap, daytime serial, (colloquial, popular among older people) story
- Coordinate term: telenovela
- 2002, Robert C. Allen, To Be Continued...: Soap Operas Around the World, Routledge (→ISBN), page 81:
- This chapter considers the growing interest in the popular Welsh-language soap opera, Pobol Y Cwm (People of the Valley), and the extent to which discourses of Welshness and definitions of cultural and national identity contribute to the appeal and longevity of the soap.
- 2014, Frank J. Lechner, John Boli, The Globalization Reader, John Wiley & Sons (→ISBN), page 393:
- It also followed the very successful long-running soap opera, Neighbours.
- → German: Seifenoper (calque)