Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- In a thorough manner; in manner free of defect or deficiency.
- He was soundly thrashed by the semi-professional boxer.
- 1899, William George Aston, A History of Japanese Literature, page 272:
- The wedding company, fatigued with their enjoyment of the previous night, slept soundly late into the next morning.
- 1911, L. D. Biagi, The Centaurians, Ch. I:
- My gold carried little weight with him, he was sincerely fond of me and consequently rated me soundly for all indiscretions, declaring I would regret wasting the best years of my life and deadening my vast talents […]
in a thorough manner