stap my vitals
- (archaic) An exclamation of surprise or anger, sometimes used as an oath.
1845, William Hazlitt, Lectures on the English Comic Writers:
- You have married a woman beautiful in her person, charming in her airs, prudent in her conduct, constant in her inclinations, and of a nice morality - stap my vitals!
1854, Tom Taylor and Charles Reade, Masks and Faces:
- The true Preux des Dames, (regretfully) went out with the full periwig, stap my vitals!
1934, PG Wodehouse, Right Ho, Jeeves:
- "Stap my vitals, Tuppy, old corpse," I said, concerned, "you're looking pretty blue round the rims."
1995, Kenneth Robert, Boon Island:
- Stap my vitals Neal cried, and I knew he was quoting Otway.