Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: stepback
- Used other than as an idiom: see step, back.
- (idiomatic) To stop what one is doing and evaluate the current situation.
- Perhaps we should step back for a second and think about solving this problem a different way.
- (idiomatic) To prevent oneself from becoming emotionally involved in a certain situation.
- As a therapist sometimes you have to step back from your clients' lives.
- (rail transport, of a driver at a terminal station) to depart driving the train following the train they arrived into the station driving, so as to decrease service turnaround time.