Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Caused to stop for a while; interrupted or delayed.
- Hung from above.
- (botany, of an ovule) Attached slightly below the summit of the ovary.
- (of coffee, food, etc.) Paid for but not consumed by a customer, so that it can be given to a less fortunate person.
- 1603: Ben Jonson, Sejanus
- And thus he leaves the Senate / Divided and suspended, all uncertain.
- 1677: Baruch Spinoza, Ethics
- He asserted, that this gland is so suspended in the midst of the brain, that it could be moved by the slightest motion of the animal spirits: further, that this gland is suspended in the midst of the brain in as many different manners, as the animal spirits can impinge thereon; and, again, that as many different marks are impressed on the said gland, as there are different external objects which impel the animal spirits towards it; whence it follows, that if the will of the soul suspends the gland in a position, wherein it has already been suspended once before by the animal spirits driven in one way or another, the gland in its turn reacts on the said spirits, driving and determining them to the condition wherein they were, when repulsed before by a similar position of the gland.
- simple past tense and past participle of
- suspended in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911