Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
suspension (plural suspensions)
- The act of suspending, or the state of being suspended.
- suspension from a hook
- A temporary or conditional delay, interruption or discontinuation.
- suspension from school as a disciplinary measure
- The state of a solid or substance produced when its particles are mixed with, but not dissolved in, a fluid, and are capable of separation by straining.
- The act of keeping a person who is listening in doubt and expectation of what is to follow.
- (vehicles) The system of springs and shock absorbers connected to the wheels in an automobile or car, which allow the vehicle to move smoothly with reduced shock to its occupants.
- (Scots Law) A stay or postponement of the execution of a sentence, usually by letters of suspension granted on application to the lord ordinary.
- (music) The act of or discord produced by prolonging one or more tones of a chord into the chord which follows, thus producing a momentary discord, suspending the concord which the ear expects.
- (topology) A topological space derived from another by taking the product of the original space with an interval and collapsing each end of the product to a point.
- (topology) A function derived, in a standard way, from another, such that the instant function's domain and codomain are suspensions of the original function's.
- (education) The process of barring a student from school grounds by means of punishment.
act of suspending or state of being suspended
temporary or conditional delay, interruption or discontinuation
state of a solid when mixed with, but not dissolved in a fluid
system of springs and shock absorbers connected to the wheels in an automobile or car
prolonging of one or more tones of a chord into the chord which follows
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Genitive singular form of suspensio.
suspension f (plural suspensions)
- suspension (all senses)