Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) to terminate a union of multiple members actively, as by disbanding
- (transitive) to destroy, make disappear
- (transitive) to liquify, melt into a fluid
- as if the world were all dissolved to tears
- (intransitive) to be melted, changed into a fluid
- (chemistry, transitive) to disintegrate chemically into a solution by immersion into a liquid or gas
- (chemistry, intransitive) to be disintegrated by such immersion
- (transitive) to disperse, drive apart a group of persons
- Nothing can dissolve us.
- (transitive) to break the continuity of; to disconnect; to loosen; to undo; to separate
- Down fell the duke, his joints dissolved asunder.
- The Declaration of Independence
- For one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another.
- (law, transitive) to annul; to rescind; to discharge or release
- to dissolve an injunction
- 2017 August 13, Brandon Nowalk, “Oldtown offers one last game-changing secret as Game Of Thrones goes behind enemy lines (newbies)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Jon Snow is the legitimate heir to the Targaryen line, by the old rules, of the old government, which was dissolved and reshaped by King Robert.
- (cinematography, intransitive) to shift from one shot to another by having the former fade out as the latter fades in
- Synonym: fade out
- (intransitive) to resolve itself as by dissolution
- (obsolete) to solve; to clear up; to resolve
- dissolved the mystery
- Bible, Daniel v. 16
- Make interpretations and dissolve doubts.
- to relax by pleasure; to make powerless
- Angels dissolved in hallelujahs lie.
to terminate a union of multiple members actively
transitive: to disintegrate into a solution by immersion
intransitive: to be disintegrated into a solution by immersion
to resolve itself as by dissolution
fade out — see fade out
to disperse a group
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
dissolve (plural dissolves)
- (cinematography) a form of film punctuation in which there is a gradual transition from one scene to the next
- Synonym: fade out
- Rhymes: -ɔlve