Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɪsəˈpɪə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /dɪsəˈpɪɹ/
- (Scotland) IPA(key): /dɪsəˈpiːɹ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪə(ɹ)
- (intransitive) To vanish.
- (transitive) To make vanish.
1973, Joseph Heller, “38 Kid Sister”, in Catch 22: A Dramatization, Fiction, Delacorte Press:
- "Did they disappear him?" / "I don’t know." / "What will you do if they decide to disappear you?"
- (intransitive) To go away; to become lost.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 8, The Celebrity:
- I corralled the judge, and we started off across the fields […] . And thus we came by a circuitous route to Mohair, […] . My client welcomed the judge […] and they disappeared together into the Ethiopian card-room, which was filled with the assegais and exclamation point shields Mr. Cooke had had made at the sawmill at Beaverton.
- (to vanish): appear
to make vanish
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked