Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: solvé
- To find an answer or solution to a problem or question; to work out.
- True piety would effectually solve such scruples.
- God shall solve the dark decrees of fate.
2013 June 1, “Ideas coming down the track”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8838, page 13 (Technology Quarterly):
- A “moving platform” scheme […] is more technologically ambitious than maglev trains even though it relies on conventional rails. Local trains would use side-by-side rails to roll alongside intercity trains and allow passengers to switch trains by stepping through docking bays. This set-up solves several problems […].
- (mathematics) To find the values of variables that satisfy a system of equations and/or inequalities.
- (mathematics) To algebraically manipulate an equation or inequality into a form that isolates a chosen variable on one side, so that the other side consists of an expression that may be used to generate solutions.
to find an answer or solution
solve (plural solves)
- (obsolete) A solution; an explanation.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)