Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To make loose.
- to loosen a knot
- After the Thanksgiving meal, Bill loosened his belt.
- Francis Bacon
- After a year's rooting, then shaking doth the tree good by loosening of the earth.
- To free from restraint; to set at liberty.
- It loosens his hands, and assists his understanding.
- To remove costiveness from; to facilitate or increase the alvine discharges of.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Francis Bacon to this entry?)
to make less tight