Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈθɔːtf(ə)lnəs/, /-fʊl-/
- (General American) enPR: thôt’fl-nəs, IPA(key): /ˈθɔtf(ə)lnəs/, /ˈθɑt-/
- Hyphenation: thought‧ful‧ness
- Thoughtful and considerate attention.
- Antonym: thoughtlessness
- 1905, Frances Hodgson Burnett, “Sara”, in A Little Princess: […], New York, N.Y.: Charles Scribner’s Sons, OCLC 3583161, page 3:
- She sat with her feet tucked under her, and leaned against her father, who held her in his arm, as she stared out the window at the passing people with a queer old-fashioned thoughtfulness in her big eyes.
- Careful deliberation before action.
- Antonym: unthoughtfulness
thoughtful and considerate attention