Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The hunting of turtles (the reptiles).
- (nautical) Turning turtle.
- (figuratively) Any slow progression or build-up.
- (games (board, card, and computer)) A defensive strategy of avoiding conflict, usually in a fixed position.
turtling (plural turtlings)
- A baby turtle.
1912, William Vaughn Moody, The poems and plays of William Vaughn Moody:
- Drowsy with dawn, barely asail, Buzzes the blue-bottle over the shale, Scared from the pool by the leaping trout; And the brood of turtlings clamber out On the log by their oozy house.
- 1997, in Sportdiving (magazine), volumes 59–64, page 94:
- The turtle-lings, kept in safety until they are three months old, are then released into the wild.
- 2012, Alexandra de Vries, Shawn Blore, Frommer's Brazil:
- Fifty days later, more or less, the little turtlings hatch, dig their way up through the sand, and make a mad scramble to the sea.