Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Related to tousle.
- Rhymes: -ʌsəl
tussle (plural tussles)
- A physical fight or struggle.
2011 January 8, Paul Fletcher, “Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle”, in BBC:
- And the visiting side appeared to settle quickly as Wayne Routledge, who had a tough tussle with Stevenage left-back Scott Laird, delivered an early cross that Barton drilled goalwards, forcing a decent save from Chris Day.
- A conflict, an argument, a disagreement
- To have a tussle.
- The two sets of fans were tussling before the game.
2011 October 22, Sam Sheringham, “Aston Villa 1 - 2 West Brom”, in BBC Sport:
- Olsson and Herd tussled off the ball at a free-kick before Olsson fell to the ground. Assistant referee Darren Cann signalled for a penalty and Dowd sent Herd off to the amazement of the Villa faithful.