Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Conflict
- A clash or disagreement, often violent, between two or more opposing groups or individuals.
- 2013 July 19, Mark Tran, “Denied an education by war”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 6, page 1:
- One particularly damaging, but often ignored, effect of conflict on education is the proliferation of attacks on schools […] as children, teachers or school buildings become the targets of attacks. Parents fear sending their children to school. Girls are particularly vulnerable to sexual violence.
- The conflict between the government and the rebels began three years ago.
- An incompatibility, as of two things that cannot be simultaneously fulfilled.
- I wanted to attend the meeting but there's a conflict in my schedule that day.
clash or disagreement
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (intransitive) To be at odds (with); to disagree or be incompatible
- 2014 March 2, Jan Morris, “Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson, review: A skilful account of T. E. Lawrence and his role in the painful birth of an emerging Middle East [print version: A rock in Arabia's shifting sands, 1 March 2014, p. R26]”, in The Daily Telegraph (Review):
- [T. E.] Lawrence said that in the end he felt himself to be fighting not for the imperial British but for the rebellious Arabs. All too often he conflicted with British bureaucratic fustiness.
- (intransitive) To overlap (with), as in a schedule.
- Your conference call conflicts with my older one: please reschedule.
- It appears that our schedules conflict.
be at odds (with)
overlap with, as in a schedule
- Douglas Harper (2001–2022), “conflict”, in Online Etymology Dictionary.
- conflict at OneLook Dictionary Search.
- A conflict, clash or dispute
conflict n (plural conflicte)
Declension of conflict