|spear; lance; pike||shield|
|simp. and trad.
|Literally: “spear and shield”.|
From a tale in Han Feizi [3rd century BC].
- 楚人有鬻盾與矛者，譽之曰：「吾盾之堅，物莫能陷之。」以譽其矛曰：「吾矛之利，於物無不陷也。」或曰：「以子之矛陷子之盾，何如？」其人弗能應也。夫不可陷之盾與無不陷之矛，不可同世而立。 [Classical Chinese, trad.][▼ expand/hide]
- 楚人有鬻盾与矛者，誉之曰：“吾盾之坚，物莫能陷之。”以誉其矛曰：“吾矛之利，于物无不陷也。”或曰：“以子之矛陷子之盾，何如？”其人弗能应也。夫不可陷之盾与无不陷之矛，不可同世而立。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- Chǔ rén yǒu yù dùn yǔ máo zhě, yù zhī yuē: “Wú dùn zhī jiān, wù mò néng xiàn zhī.” Yǐ yù qí máo yuē: “Wú máo zhī lì, yú wù wú bù xiàn yě.” Huò yuē: “Yǐ zǐ zhī máo xiàn zǐ zhī dùn, hérú?” Qí rén fú néng yìng yě. Fú bùkě xiàn zhī dùn yǔ wú bù xiàn zhī máo, bùkě tóng shì ér lì. [Pinyin]
- There was once a man in the state of Chu, who was selling shields and lances. He was praising them saying: “My shields are so firm, that there is nothing that can pierce them.” He praised his lances saying: “My lances are so sharp, that there is nothing that they cannot pierce.” Someone asked: “What if you used your lances to pierce your shields?” The man could not answer. A shield that cannot be pierced and a lance that can pierce everything cannot exist in the same world.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): maau4 teon5
- Hakka (Sixian, PFS): màu-tún
- Min Dong (BUC): màu-dōng
- Min Nan (POJ): bâu-tún / mâu-tún / mô͘-tún
- Wu (Wiktionary): meu den (T3)
- Min Dong
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou)
- (Hokkien: mainstream Taiwanese, Xiamen, Zhangzhou)
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou, Xiamen)
- contradiction; inconsistency; disagreement; incongruity
- problem; issue; conflict
- (logic) paradox
- conflicted; vacillating between two options
|Kanji in this term|
- 楚人有鬻楯與矛者 譽之曰 吾楯之堅 莫能陷也 又譽其矛曰 吾矛 之利 於物無不陷也 或曰 以子之矛陷子之楯 何如 其人弗能應也.
- There was a man in Chu who sold shields and spears. Praising the shields he said: 'My shields are so strong that nothing can pierce them.' And praising the spears he said: 'My spears are so strong that there is nothing that they cannot pierce.' A person asked: 'What if someone pierces your shields with your spears?' He could not respond.
- to be inconsistent, to be in contradiction, to be incompatible with
- Kare ga kyō shuchō suru naiyō wa kinō no kōdō to mujun shite iru.
- What he's going on about today isn't compatible with his behavior yesterday. → What he's saying today doesn't jive with what he did yesterday.