Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: streit
- quarrel, dispute, fight, argument
- Streit um des Kaisers Bart ― Quarrel about something unimportant (literally, “Dispute over the Kaiser's beard”)
- (archaic outside of compounds) fight, battle
- Streitaxt ― battle axe
- Sie rüsteten sich zum Streit(e). ― They prepared for battle.
- Neither of the existing plural forms is very frequent. In formal German, Streitigkeiten is normally used instead. Streite is listed in some dictionaries but is quite uncommon. Streits is a recent innovation (possibly on the model of Streiks) which has become fairly common in colloquial German but is likely to be considered incorrect in formal style.
Declension of Streit [masculine, strong]