up the spout
- (slang) broken; not functional or workable; kaput
- I think the left speaker is up the spout.
- That idea of yours for using the church hall seems to have gone up the spout.
- (military, slang) In the chamber, having an ammunition round in a weapon's chamber.
- He went into the attack with his rifle cocked and with one up the spout.
- (slang) pregnant
- Did you know that she's up the spout?
- (archaic, slang) At the pawnbroker's shop (in allusion to the spout up which the pawnbroker sent the ticketed articles).
- to put/shove/pop something up the spout