Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- In good working order.
- Useful; serving a purpose, fulfilling a function
- That sculpture is not merely artistic, but also functional: it can be used as a hatrack.
- Only for functional purposes, notably in architecture
- A functional construction element generally must meet higher technical but lower aesthetical requirements
- (computing theory) Having semantics defined purely in terms of mathematical functions, without side-effects.
- (medicine) Of a disease, such that its symptoms cannot be referred to any appreciable lesion or change of structure; opposed to organic disease, in which the organ itself is affected.
- non-functional, nonfunctional, unfunctional
- (medicine: not referrable to a change of structure): organic
Hyponyms of functional
in good working order
useful, serving a purpose
such that its symptoms cannot be referred to any appreciable lesion or change of structure
utilitarian — see utilitarian
having semantics defined purely in terms of mathematical functions, without side-effects
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
functional (plural functionals)
- (mathematics) A function that takes a function as its argument; More precisely: A function y=f(x) whose argument x varies in a space of (real valued, complex valued) functions and whose value belongs to a monodimensional space. An example: the definite integration of integrable real functions in a real interval.
- (mathematics, functional analysis) A scalar-valued linear function on a vector space.
- (computing) An object encapsulating a function pointer (or equivalent).
a function that takes a function as its argument
an object encapsulating a function pointer
- functional in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- functional in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- functional at OneLook Dictionary Search