Jump to navigation Jump to search
veiling (countable and uncountable, plural veilings)
- The act of covering with a veil.
- 2011, Gwen Seabourne, Imprisoning Medieval Women:
- […] there are several examples of forced veilings of noblewomen and queens from the early Middle Ages.
- 2022 September 30, Mahsa Alimardani, Kendra Albert, Afsaneh Rigot, “Big Tech Should Support the Iranian People, Not the Regime”, in The New York Times:
- Ms. Amini’s alleged crime was “improperly” wearing hijab, violating Iran’s law requiring mandatory veiling.
- Material for making veils.
From Dutch veiling, from Middle Dutch veilinge. Equivalent to veil + -ing.
veiling (plural veilings or veilinge (dated))
From Middle Dutch veilinge. Equivalent to veilen + -ing. Compare West Frisian feiling.
veiling f (plural veilingen, diminutive veilinkje n)
- auction (concrete and abstract)
- auction house, building or business where auctions are held
- Synonym: venduhuis
- Afrikaans: veiling
- English non-lemma forms
- English verb forms
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- Afrikaans terms inherited from Dutch
- Afrikaans terms derived from Dutch
- Afrikaans terms inherited from Middle Dutch
- Afrikaans terms derived from Middle Dutch
- Afrikaans terms suffixed with -ing
- Afrikaans terms with IPA pronunciation
- Afrikaans lemmas
- Afrikaans nouns
- Dutch terms inherited from Middle Dutch
- Dutch terms derived from Middle Dutch
- Dutch terms suffixed with -ing
- Dutch terms with IPA pronunciation
- Dutch terms with audio links
- Dutch lemmas
- Dutch nouns
- Dutch nouns with plural in -en
- Dutch feminine nouns