Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- enPR: wās(t)'-kōt, IPA(key): /ˈweɪs(t)kəʊt/
- (old-fashioned) enPR: wĕs'kət, IPA(key): /ˈwɛskət/
Audio (US) (file)
waistcoat (plural waistcoats)
- An ornamental garment worn under a doublet.
- (chiefly Britain) A sleeveless, collarless garment worn over a shirt and under a suit jacket.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 2, The Celebrity:
- Sunning himself on the board steps, I saw for the first time Mr. Farquhar Fenelon Cooke. […] A silver snaffle on a heavy leather watch guard which connected the pockets of his corduroy waistcoat, together with a huge gold stirrup in his Ascot tie, sufficiently proclaimed his tastes.
a sleeveless, collarless garment