Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Winger
winger (plural wingers)
- (nautical) One of the casks stowed in the wings of a vessel's hold, being smaller than such as are stowed more amidships.
- We hauled out a winger of grog.
- (sports) An offensive player who plays on either side of the center.
- The center passed to the left winger, who shot and scored.
- 2011 October 1, Alistair Magowan, “Man Utd 2 - 0 Norwich”, in BBC Sport:
- "The pattern of the game could have been different if Anthony Pilkington had taken one of two chances either side of United's opener.
But the Norwich winger shot wide when clean through and saw another effort hit the post on 75 minutes.