- (colloquial, informal) Alternative form of yeah; yes.
- (dialectal) Eye dialect spelling of you.
- 1997, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, iv:
- ‘Budge up, yeh great lump,’ said the stranger.
From Proto-Malayo-Chamic *air, from Proto-Malayo-Sumbawan *wair, from Proto-Sunda-Sulawesi *wair, from Proto-Malayo-Polynesian *wahiʀ.
- water (clear liquid H₂O)
- Hugh Mabbett, The Balinese (2001), page 122
- Balinese Morphosyntax: A Lexical-Functional Approach (2003), page 24
- (emphatic) he, she, it
From Scottish Middle English ā-, from Old English ān (one); see also a.
yeh (not comparable)
- (South Scots) one
- Jist the yeh spinfi for mei, ta.
- ae (other Scots dialects)
- yin (more frequently used variant)