Supposed to represent the sound of snoring.
- (as spelled) IPA(key): /zː/
- (imitation of snoring) IPA(key): /f͡ŋ/
- A snoring sound, implying that somebody is asleep.
- Russian: хррр (xrrr) (colloquial, not used in books; understood, but used less frequently than zzz)
zzz (third-person singular simple present zzzs, present participle zzzing, simple past and past participle zzzed)
- (onomatopoeia) To sleep.
- H. G. Wells
- He lay back on his pillow, made a faint zzzing sound that ceased, and presently and quite quietly he died — greatly comforted by my assurance.
1996, Charlotte Abrams, The Silents, page 42:
- He zzzed for a long time, bobbing back and forth, and then he let us go, pointing to two empty seats across the aisle and motioning for us to sit down.