Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Proper noun 
- (poetic) The moon, personified.
- A female given name.
- Heaven to clear when day did close.
- 1866 Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters, Chapter 10:
- "Cynthia seems to me such an out-of-the-way name, only fit for poetry, not for daily use."
- 1978 Graham Greene, The Human Factor, ISBN 0671240854, page 59:
- Cynthia, the domestic-minded, looked as dashing as a young commando. It was a pity that her spelling was so bad, but perhaps there was something Elizabethan about her spelling as well as about her name.