Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: jerry
- Rhymes: -ɛri
- A nickname for Jeremiah, Jeremy, Jerrold, Gerald, Gerard, and similar male names; also used as a formal male given name.
- A diminutive of the female given names Geraldine and Jerilyn.
- An old nickname for a chamber pot (also referred to as a potty) (Dated UK)
- 1970 Santha Rama Rau: The Adventuress. Harper&Row. page 157:
- - - - I, incidentally, am Jeremy Wilson, and anyone who abbreviates that to 'Jerry' does so at unspeakable peril."
- "Oh really?" Kay asked. "Why?"
- "Well, just a wartime hangover. We used to call the Germans 'Jerries'."
- "I don't know much about the German war."
by shortening of German
- Used during World War II. Usage after World War II served as a reminder that the UK and Germany had been enemies.
slang: German — see Fritz
German — see German