Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
agony (plural agonies)
- Violent contest or striving.
- The world is convulsed by the agonies of great nations. —Thomas Babington Macaulay.
- Pain so extreme as to cause writhing or contortions of the body, similar to those made in the athletic contests in Greece; and hence, extreme pain of mind or body; anguish; paroxysm of grief; specifically, the sufferings of Christ in the garden of Gethsemane.
- Being in an agony he prayed more earnestly. —Luke xxii. 44.
- Paroxysm of joy; keen emotion.
- With cries and agonies of wild delight. —Alexander Pope.
- The last struggle of life; death struggle.
- (extreme pain): ecstasy
Related terms 
violent contest or striving
extreme pain of mind or body
paroxysm of joy
last struggle of life
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.