Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Self-governing. Intelligent, sentient, self-aware, thinking, feeling, Governing independently.
- Acting on one's own or independently; of a child, acting without being governed by parental or guardian rules.
- (Celtic linguistics, of a verb form) Used with no subject, indicating an unknown or unspecified agent; used in similar situations as the passive in English (the difference being that the theme in the English passive construction is the subject, while in the Celtic autonomous construction the theme is the object and there is no subject).
- (governing independently): sovereign, self-governing
- (acting on ones own behalf): selfstanding, self-directed
acting on one's own
a verb form grammar of Celtic language